Sunday 11 November 2012

HOW WILL THE SITH BE PORTRAYED IN EPISODE 7?







Star Wars Episode 7 is happening. Its weird to reflect on that statement and think that it is a fact. I had my suspicions that we would see a new trilogy by 2020 and I was beginning to worry that it wouldn’t be progressive in the sense that it would not follow on from Return of The Jedi.

I was beginning to worry that another three films would be at best a prequel prequel and at worst slotted in somewhere between Episodes 1 and 2 or just after episode 3.

I am glad that more Star Wars films are being made and I am also glad that they have hired Academy Award winner Michael Arndt to wright the screenplay.

Arndt co-wrote the adaptation of The Hunger Games, which up to press, has been my favourite film of the year so far. He will also dabble a little further in to Sci-Fi next year with Oblivion.

Arndt will have his work cut out. We have been told that Episode 7 will be a whole new story and that it will not link in any way to previously published literature which has expanded the Star Wars universe substantially after Return of The Jedi.

Arndt will have to satisfy ardent fans, expecting teenagers, children and me.

Star Wars needs to appeal to children. The whole basic concept behind the stories is that it’s harder to be good than bad but bad never wins.

Disney should be all over this.

Episodes 1, 2 and 3 have been panned over recent years. I liked 1 and 2 but 3 was without doubt one of the worst films I have ever seen.

It was brilliant to see a new Darth in Episode 1. Darth Maul looked the part but played a kind of strong silent type, every ounce a Sith though and every ounce skilled in the dark arts.

Episode 2 had the daddy of villains: Christopher Lee played the powerful Darth Tyranus.

So there were some outstanding evil sow and sow’s to keep me alert as immersed my self in contemporary Star Wars for the first time as a grown up.

Tyranus’ demise in Episode 3 played out what was really a poorly scripted computer game.

Episodes 1, 2 and 3 saw a Darth Sidiuous that was still a bit too much behind the scenes to make much of an impact as a really scary baddy. Not so when I was about 6 however, watching Return of The Jedi for the first time. Holy Moses.. I didn’t sleep for weeks.

So now to the main premise of this post: I am concerned that they [Disey] won’t get it right with however they intend to portray the Sith.

I want to be scarred rigid but will Disney let me?

Or will they truly scare me into wanting to be a good guy…..by working hard and doing as I’m told… 



No comments:

Post a Comment